Sunday, November 22, 2009

Oscar Scherer State Park

No this isnt Charlie Brown's shade tree in his front yard, but it does represent my feelings of the Oscar Scherer State Park. The staff was friendly and helpful but the park didnt offer much to me. The river looked like it would be nice to canoe down and the campsites seem well liked since they were so crowded. As for the park itself it was not much more than a walk through a typical South Florida piece of land.

I decided tot ake the yellow trail. A five mile walk which would take about 2 hours or so. Following the map I cam to the end and the map said to then go back. I didnt see any markers to exit onto the bike path and come back along the original path. Well that is where I should have gone. I returned to see a gate that would put me where I neeed but it was locked and I decided not to jump the fence. I then walked back until I found the blue trail markers. Following them I eventually returned to the hub of all the trails. Lots of grasshooppers, dragonflies but no other wildlife was seen.



The South Creek Nature Trail and Lester Finley Trail were a nicer shaded walk but again no wildlife was seen. The river as mentioned above had a few canoers and many voiced from across the way from the campers.



Overall the park was nice but seemed more of a place for a weekend get together rather than a place for pictures and walking. That may had been different if the Yello Trail was better marked since that would have taken me more away from the hub of all acitivity.



As always more can be seen on my flickr page.

No comments:

Post a Comment